The forerunner of the Police Museum was the Police Historical Records Committee formed in 1964 which collected a significant number of artifacts relating to the history of the Force and proposed the foundation of a museum to display them. Originally housed in Police Headquarters, the Police Museum was started in a limited form in 1976 and later moved to Tai Sang Commercial Building in Wan Chai, and moved to the present site in 1988.
The Museum is divided into four galleries: Orientation Gallery, Triad Societies and Narcotics Gallery, Hong Kong Police Then and Now Gallery and Thematic Exhibition Gallery. It has a total floor area of 570 square metres for displaying around 600 exhibits.
Orientation Gallery - this gallery describes the general history of the Police Force through historical photographs and archives, uniforms, equipment, firearms and other artefacts. Significant exhibits include the head of the “Sheung Shui Tiger” which was shot in 1915 after killing two policemen, the donation of memorabilia from the widow of the former Commissioner of Police, Mr. Duncan MacIntosh, and a 'Plague Medal' of 1894, etc.
A pamphlet of the Museum (PDF format)
Triad Societies and Narcotics Gallery - this gallery features the history of local Triad Societies, the scope of their activities, their beliefs and rituals that have been known to be practised by members. This gallery also introduces the past narcotics problems in Hong Kong through the display of replica drugs, drug smoking and trafficking paraphernalia and an old heroin manufacturing laboratory.
Police Then & Now Gallery - this exhibition gives an overview of the transformation of Hong Kong Police Force over the past 170 years by exploring several areas of interest. The history of the Hong Kong Police Force is closely tied with the History of Hong Kong, and it is hoped that through this exhibition, the History of Hong Kong can be seen from another perspective.
Thematic Exhibition Gallery -
The current exhibition is “Cheung Chau Police Station (1913 – 2013) – Marking One Hundred Years”, showing from 26 November 2013 to 31 October 2014. The past exhibitions included “Police Dog Unit”, “Gems of Collection: Police Artefacts in Modern China”, “25 Years at the Front: A History of Police Escorts in Hong Kong (1986-2011)”, “In Strive for Wisdom, Bravery, Sincerity and Fortitude: Reminiscing the Day Together in Police Cadet School (1973-1990)” and “The Historical Development of Force Communications – Be closely bound up with COMMs Branch”.
27 Coombe Road, The Peak, Hong Kong.
Tel: (852) 2849 7019
Fax: (852) 2849 4573
Public Transport :
NWFB Bus No. 15 (from Exchange Square to the Peak). Get off at the Wan Chai Gap Road Stop.Opening Hours :
Wednesdays to Sundays : 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tuesdays : 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed on :
Mondays, Tuesdays a.m., Public Holidays and the first three days of the Chinese New Year