The Hong Kong Police Force (“HKPF”) respects the right to personal data privacy and is committed to complying with requirements of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance (“PDPO”).
Kinds of Personal Data Held
The categories of personal data held by HKPF include -
- Operational Records which include records containing data supplied by individuals or collected by HKPF in connection with police operations, e.g. stop and search, road blocks, fire or natural disasters, injured persons, missing persons, disputes and traffic accidents.
- Traffic Records which include records containing data supplied by individuals or collected by HKPF in connection with enforcement of traffic laws and regulations, e.g. fixed penalty tickets, summons, complaints and convictions.
- Criminal Investigation & Miscellaneous Enquiry Files which include records containing data supplied by individuals or collected by HKPF in connection with crime reports, complaints and miscellaneous issues requiring police inquiry, e.g. death enquiries, fire investigations, complaints against police and telephone nuisance.
- Licensing Records which include records containing data supplied by individuals or collected by HKPF in connection with the discharge by the Commissioner of Police of his roles as the Societies Officer and the statutory authority for the issue of a number of licences and permits and police involvement in respect of licences issued by other statutory authorities.
- Fingerprints & Criminal Conviction Records which include records containing data supplied by individuals or collected by HKPF in connection with fingerprinting of persons arrested or convicted of offences, and maintaining of criminal conviction data.
- Employment-related Records on Serving & Former Staff which include personnel records of disciplined (regular or auxiliary) officers, civilian staff and traffic wardens e.g. personal and family particulars, education, qualifications, employment history, appointment and promotion, appraisal reports, training, conduct and discipline, medical records, retirement and pension.
Main Purposes of Using Personal Data
The main purposes for which personal data held by HKPF are or are to be used include -
- executing duties imposed on the police force by section 10 of the Police Force Ordinance, Cap 232;
- executing other duties as may by law imposed on the police force;
- administration of the police force; and
- employment-related purposes.
Assistant Commissioner of Police, Support is designated as the Force Data and Access to Information Coordinator. He is responsible for supervising and ensuring compliance with PDPO.
Every police station or formation has a designated Formation Data Administrator to handle and co-ordinate matters in relation to PDPO. The post of the Formation Data Administrator is displayed in police report rooms or other places where members of the public lodge reports with the police.
Data Access / Correction Request
Data Access Request (“DAR”)
Ways to make DAR
In person – by delivering a completed DAR Form to any police station. Police officers will assist an applicant to complete the DAR Form if necessary.
By post – by mailing the completed DAR Form to the concerned police station or Formation.
Online application – by clicking here
Access to Criminal Conviction Data – the data subject has to attend the Criminal Conviction Data Office at 14/F, Arsenal House, Police Headquarters, 1 Arsenal Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong in person unless otherwise exempted.
HKPF may impose a fee for complying with a DAR.
Data Correction Request
After obtaining a copy of the personal data, the data subject may request in writing correction of data which is considered as inaccurate.
You can find out more about the operation of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance at the Website of the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data.