Beware of the new email scams
Scammers use emails to blackmail email users for virtual currency. The fraudulent emails generally would:
- Mention a password that you had used before;
- Claim that your computer has been hacked/compromised; and
- Threaten to release your information unless you pay virtual currency as ransom.
This is a scam, don't be trapped!
- Do not pay the ransom but change the relevant passwords immediately.
- Enhance password security and change your passwords regularly.
- Install and update anti-virus/ anti-malware software regularly.
- If in doubt, please call the “Anti-Scam Helpline 18222”, the 24-hour telephone hotline of the Hong Kong Police Force.