‘Pretend Staff of Express Delivery Companies, Hong Kong Immigration Department Officials and Mainland Public Security Officials’ telephone deception scams
Police recently noticed an increase of telephone deception scams in which offenders pretended to be staff of express delivery companies, Hong Kong Immigration Department officials and Mainland public security officials. As revealed by police investigation, some of the victims were either non-local students or employees. Please beware of:
Members of Public received pre-recorded voice calls in which offenders pretended to be staff of express delivery companies, Hong Kong Immigration Department officials or Mainland Public Security officials and alleged that the victims were involved in criminal cases in the Mainland. The calls were then forwarded to another offender pretending to be a Mainland Public Security official. The offender claimed that he would offer help to them by following up and investigating the case, and asked them to remit money to designated bank accounts. The offenders might also provide them with false arrest warrants and websites, required them to open new bank accounts and submit their personal data such as their names, identity card numbers, bank account numbers, passwords and balances, so that the offenders could deceive their money by transferring money through internet banking.
- Don’t believe swindlers or remit money to any account.
- Don’t disclose personal details such as your name, identity card number, bank account number, password or balance to strangers.
- Beware of any suspicious website demanding your bank account details and password and close it immediately.
- Don’t download any unknown mobile phone software (App).
- Remind your relatives and friends not to fall victim to scams.
- Always bear three anti-deception tips in mind, “Hang up, Verify, Get help!”, to prevent falling prey to scams.
- Should you have any doubts about scams, please dial “Anti-Scam Helpline 18222” hotline or contact the officers of Immigration Department for enquiries.