Telephone Deception with New M.O. – Installing bogus APP/ Malware
Fraudsters would instruct victims to install bogus APP or Malware through website in order to obtain the bank account numbers and passwords. Please stay alert!
A member of the public received calls from swindlers who pretended to be staff of mobile service operator. The swindlers claimed that the mobile phone number of victim was involved in Mainland criminal case. Then, other swindlers impersonating Mainland officials claimed to offer assistance to the victim in handling and investigating the case. The swindlers provided an URL and instructed victim to install a bogus APP/Malware and asked the victim to enter his/her bank account number, PIN code, personal details, etc. The victim’s online banking account was then hijacked and all money was transferred out.
- DO NOT disclose your personal information (such as your name, ID card numbers, bank account numbers, PIN codes and account balances) to strangers.
- DO NOT install any unknown software or suspicious application on mobile phone or computer.
- DO NOT input any personal information into any unknown website or unknown APP.
- Remind your relatives and friends to stay alert against deception.
- If in doubt, please call the Anti-Scam Helpline 18222.