Telephone Deception – $10,000 Cash Payout Scheme
Members of the public received calls from scammers impersonating bank staff or officers of government departments and claiming that they could help register for the government’s $10,000 Cash Payout Scheme. Victims were requested to provide their personal particulars such as their names, HKID numbers and bank account details.
- Do not disclose your personal particulars to strangers, including your names, HKID numbers, bank account numbers, online bank accounts and passwords;
- If the callers claim themselves as bank staff or officers of government departments, and request for your personal particulars and property with various reasons, contact the corresponding offices to verify the identity of the callers;
- Do not access any suspicious websites or download any suspicious mobile applications. Do not input bank account information and passwords as requested and close the browser or application immediately;
- Remind your relatives and friends to stay alert against deception;
- If in doubt, please call the Police’s Anti-Scam Helpline 18222.