Telephone Deception by Impersonating Bank Staff
Members of the public have recently received calls from scammers impersonating bank staff and asking to verify their personal information or account details regarding the application for the $10,000 Cash Payout Scheme, thereby collecting such information as their names, HKID numbers and bank account details.
- Banks will not request customers’ personal information via voice phone-calls.
- Do not disclose your personal information to strangers, including your names, HKID numbers, bank account details and online banking passwords;
- If the callers claim themselves as bank staff and ask to verify your personal information for the Cash Payout Scheme application, contact the corresponding banks to verify the identity of the callers;
- Do not access any suspicious websites or download any suspicious mobile applications. Do not input bank account details and PIN codes as requested and close the browser or application immediately;
- Remind your relatives and friends to stay alert against deception;
- If in doubt, please call the Police’s Anti-Scam Helpline 18222.