Telephone Deception (Impersonating Staff of Department of Health)
Members of the public have recently received pre-recorded voice calls from Department of Health (DH) claiming that they have been confirmed with COVID-19 infection or might be subject to quarantine. They were asked to press 9 and such calls were transferred to another person speaking in Putonghua who asked them to provide their personal information and bank account details.
- DH will not ask members of the public to provide such personal information as bank account details;
- If the callers claim themselves as officers of DH and request for your personal information and bank account details under various pretexts, verify their identity by calling the government hotline 5394 3150;
- Beware of any suspicious website demanding your bank account details and passwords. Close it immediately and do not disclose any of your information;
- Do not disclose your personal information to strangers, including your bank account details, online banking accounts and passwords;
- Remind your relatives and friends to stay alert against deception;
- If in doubt, please call the Police’s Anti-Scam Helpline 18222.