Beware of Fake Supermarket Promotion Campaigns
Recently, it has come to the Police’s attention that a message with an enclosed link is circulated on the Internet. The message states that members of the public can get supermarket cash coupons for free by logging into the website, answering simple questions and forwarding the message. The supermarket concerned has issued a statement clarifying that the promotion campaign does not exist and the message is fake, and appeals to customers to stay vigilant.
- If you participate in any promotion campaigns that require your personal data, you should verify whether the hosts have organised relevant campaigns;
- Also, you should have a thorough understanding of the details of relevant campaigns, for example, the correct registration websites or procedures, the personal data required and its purposes and retention periods, etc.;
- Beware of bogus webpages that collect users’ personal data for illegal purposes;
- Remind your relatives and friends to stay alert against deception.
- If in doubt, call the Anti-Scam Helpline 18222 for advice.