Implementation of the Code on Access to Information
A Senior Executive Officer in each Major Formation within the Hong Kong Police, has been designated as the Major Formation Access to Information Officer (MFAIO) and all District Executive Officers in police regions have been designated a District Access to Information Officers (DAIO).
They are responsible for ensuring that requests for information under the Code on Access to Information are properly dealt with in accordance with the specified procedures. Requests for information held by the Hong Kong Police may be made by letter or by application form (or now also online, below). Application forms are obtainable from the Report Room in all police stations.
Applications should be addressed to the respective MFAIO or DAIO as appropriate. The following information is also available for inspection at the Report Room of all police stations by members of the public and will be updated on a quarterly basis:
- Organization Charts (in both English and Chinese)
- A list of records by category kept by the department (in English)
- A list of information made available to the public free of charge or at a cost (in English)
- A copy of the Code on Access to Information (in both English and Chinese) and the Guidelines on Interpretation and Application (in English)
- A set of administrative procedures for handling requests for information under the code (in English)
Other than publication/information available free of charge or at a cost, the following photocopying charge will be levied :
|Photocopying black and white on A3 or A4 size paper
||: HK $1 per photocopy*
|(Note : Unless otherwise provided by enactment or approved by the Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury.)
(In this context, a document usually means a booklet, a report, or an enclosure in a file.)
* Photocopying made on both sides of a sheet is counted as two copies.
You can make an online application for Access to Information here.
Any person who is not satisfied with our decision in handling the Code request may ask for an internal review by writing to relevant Major Formation Commander of the HKPF or complain to the Office of the Ombudsman, Hong Kong, whose address is :
||30/F, China Merchants Tower, Shun Tak Centre, 168-200 Connaught Road Central, Hong Kong
For Enquiries, please contact the respective MFAIO or DAIO during office hours. You can find a list of Access to Information Officers here.