Hong Kong Police Force

We Serve with Pride and Care

繁體 简体

Crime Wing

This leaflet tells you about certain standards of service which you can expect from the Crime Wing of the Hong Kong Police. It also tells you the steps you can take if you want to seek explanations or make comments on the service you receive.

Photograph:Police officer of Organized Crime and Triad Bureau gathering exhibits

Photograph:Police officer of Identification Bureau collecting fingerprints

Service Delivered

This performance pledge covers the following police activities :

- criminal investigation;
- witness reassurance;
- time required to obtain a certificate of no criminal conviction (CNCC); and
- time required to obtain result of sexual conviction record check (SCRC).

Photograph:Overview of Arsenal House, Police Headquarters

Performance Standards

Criminal Investigation

- Police will respond to all reports of crime, and for crimes that are listed as SERIOUS according to internal guidelines, police will inform the complainant of the progress of the investigation every six months.
- Police will inform a complainant :
• of the name, rank, and office telephone number of the officer-in-charge of the case;
• when a person has been arrested and charged in connection with the report;
• not later than four weeks after the investigation is concluded or whenever enquiries are curtailed; and
• not later than four weeks after the determination of any trial concerning the case.
- When a court orders the return of a person's property which has been used as an exhibit, this will be returned as soon as possible following the expiration of the appeal period.
- Property not required as an exhibit will be returned to the owner as soon as possible.

Witness Reassurance

- When you make a report of crime, you will be provided with the name, rank, service number and contact telephone number of the officer-in-charge of the case. A Report Reference Card containing these details will be given to you.
- If you are the victim of a sexual offence, you will normally be interviewed in private by an officer of the same sex.
- Juveniles (persons aged under 16) will be interviewed only in the presence of a parent, guardian or some other suitable adults of the same sex as the child, except if a delay would cause undue hindrance to the furtherance of justice or might cause harm to others.
- If you are required to attend court as a witness, you will be informed of the date, time and location of the hearing once this is known.
- Witnesses will be provided with suitable protective measures in all cases where a genuine threat is assessed to exist.
- Mentally incapacitated persons as well as child witnesses of cases of sexual abuse, cruelty, assault or a threat of injury to others, may have their interviews video recorded for the purpose of tendering as evidence in court or may give evidence through live television link during the court trial.

Obtaining a CNCC
These certificates will be provided within four calendar weeks after applications from the CNCC Office, 14/F, Arsenal House, Police Headquarters, No.1 Arsenal Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.

Applying for SCRC
Eligible applicants should make advance appointment through the Auto-Telephone Answering System (ATAS) at 3660 7499 no less than one working day in advance of the intended appointment and attend in person at the SCRC Office located at 14/F, Arsenal House, Police Headquarters, No.1 Arsenal Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong to submit an application. If an applicant does not have a conviction record against the specified list of sexual offences, the check result will be uploaded onto the ATAS within seven working days after the application.

Effective Monitoring

The Police Force will monitor these standards through analysis of investigation of every report of crime.

Photograph:Police officer of Identification Bureau taking photograph of exhibit for record

Service Environment

The Police Force aims to provide a fair, proficient and professional investigation of every report of crime.

Suggestions for Improvement

There may be occasions when, despite our best efforts, you feel that the standard of service provided could have been better. If you require an explanation, or have any suggestions that may help improve our service, you may contact the Police Community Relations Officer of your local police station or write to your local police station.

In the case of CNCC, you may contact the officer-in-charge of the CNCC Office at 2860 6555.

Channels for Complaints

If you wish to complain that your case has not been dealt with adequately, you may contact the Complaints Against Police Reporting Centre, Ground Floor, Annex Block, Caine House, No.3 Arsenal Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong or telephone the 24-hour complaint hotline (2866 7700). The Complaints Against Police Office (CAPO) will attempt to establish a personal contact with you within two working days of the complaint being received. The CAPO will notify you of the progress of the complaint investigation in accordance with the Performance Pledge.

Where to Go for Further Information

For further information on matters stated in this leaflet, you may contact the Police Community Relations Officer of your local police station. The following leaflets may also be useful to you and are available from any police station, and/or accessible from the Police Homepage:
- Victim's Charter;
- Rights of Victims and Witnesses of Crime;
- Witness in Court;
- Notes to applicants of CNCC; and
- Notes to applicants and employers of SCRC.

Photograph:Police officers arrest suspects

Hong Kong Police August 2015