Licences and Permits

Police Licensing Office

What’s New

To significantly reduce the flow of people and social contacts to reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19 in the community, Police Licensing Office will suspend walk-in counter services (except Security Personnel Permit renewal applications, re-applications, amendment application on categories of security work, replacement of Security Personnel Permit and collection of permit) from 2020-12-02 (Wednesday) onwards.

Applicants for Security Personnel Permit (New Applications) and other licences shall approach the below units for telephone appointments. Applicants may also submit applications with supporting documents and crossed cheque (if applicable) by post or by drop-in box located at 1/F, Arsenal House, Police Headquarters.

Operating hours for telephone appointment service:
Monday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; and 2:00 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.

(This Office only accepts appointments within the coming week.)
Security Personnel Permit Section (New Application)2860 6546
2860 6543
Arms Licensing Section2860 6536
Liquor and Miscellaneous Licensing
Temporary Liquor Licence / Musical Instrument Permit
Pawnbrokers Licence / Massage Establishment Licence
2860 6052
Societies Office2860 7743

Police Licensing Office acts as the licensing authority for a number of licences and permits, including Security Personnel Permits, Arms Licences, Temporary Liquor Licences and Societies Registrations etc., as well as co-ordinates policy matters relating to public order events.

Police Licensing Office Location and Business Hours:
12/F, Arsenal House, Police Headquarters, 1 Arsenal Street, Wan Chai, Hong Kong.

(MTR Admiralty Station Exit D / Wan Chai Station Exit C) (Map Map)

Mondays to Fridays
09:00 to 13:00 hours and
14:00 to 17:45 hours

Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays

Click here for special arrangement under inclement weather conditions.

Points to Note:

  • Applicants may submit application by post or in person.
  • Please ensure your application form is duly completed and all required supporting documents are attached. Otherwise it may take a longer time to process. Please refer to the application guideline for details.
  • If you wish to submit your application by post, please note that mail items should bear sufficient postage. Underpaid mail items will be rejected.
  • Applicants may pay the required fee by cash, crossed cheque, Octopus Card or EPS.
    • For payment by cash, please pay at the Shroff Office at 11/F, Arsenal House according to the guidelines by staff. The Shroff Office stops service between 13:00 and 14:00 hours and after 16:45 hours. Please do not send cash by post.
    • Crossed cheque should be made payable to ‘The Government of the HKSAR’.
    • Both this Office and the Shroff Office do not provide Octopus Card reload service.

Important Message: Safe Use of Air Guns and Legislation

The police attach great importance to arms control, and targeting violent crime involving firearms is one of the Commissioner’s Operational Priorities in 2014.  A set of arms licensing regime and statutory regulation has been put in place for arms control in Hong Kong.  There may, however, be misuses of air guns that result in breaches of the law every now and then.  You are therefore reminded that:-

  1. Under the Firearms and Ammunition Ordinance, Cap. 238, any person who, without a licence or an exemption issued by the Commissioner of Police, has in his possession any air rifle, air gun or air pistol from which any shot, bullet or missile can be discharged with a muzzle energy greater than 2 joules commits an offence and is liable to a fine of $100,000 and to imprisonment for 14 years.

  2. Under the Summary Offences Ordinance, Cap. 228, any person who, without lawful authority or excuse, knowingly or negligently discharges an air gun to the danger or annoyance of any person shall be liable to a fine of $500 or to imprisonment for 3 months.

Information about Safe Use of Air Guns


Closed Area Permit

“Closed Area Permit” and “Closed Area Permit for Shenzhen Bay Port” are issued by the respective offices. Please refer to the following pages for details: