Road Safety is one of the Commissioners' Operational Priorities in 2021. Through Engineering, Engagement, and Enforcement, we aim at enhancing the level of road safety in Hong Kong.
Commissioner's Operational Priorities 2021 - Road Safety
- Reduce fatal and serious accidents, particularly those involving public transport and cycling, through a multi-agency approach.
- Deter drink driving, drug driving, speeding and illegal road racing.
- Promote pedestrian safety, with particular emphasis on the elderly and safe cycling.
- Ensure smooth traffic flow through application of the Selected Traffic Enforcement Priorities (STEP) and the use of technology.
In 2020, there were 15 298 traffic accidents involving casualties, with 1 912 cases involving serious injuries and 96 involving fatalities. The numbers of accidents involving casualties decreased by 5 percent and the number of accidents involving serious injuries and fatalities increased by 4 percent as compared with 2019. We will continue to work in partnership with other government departments, transport associations, road safety stakeholders, educational bodies and community organizations to make Hong Kong a safer place for road users.
- Traffic Branch Headquarters Thematic Study and Cycling Safety Cue Card Press Conference (December 2020)
- TBHQ and T NTN promote cycling safety (November 2020)
- TBHQ mounts cycling safety campaign (October 2020)
- Project TOGETHER spreads road safety messages to senior citizens (July 2020)
- Project TOGETHER promotes road safety and a sense of consideration for others (June 2020)
- Road Safety Council 46th Anniversary Ceremony cum Road Safety City Carnival (January 2020)
- Road Safety Council 45th Anniversary Ceremony cum Safety Walk Carnival (November 2018)
- Traffic Branch Headquarters New Road Safety Bus (November 2018)
- Food Delivery Motorcycles gathered at Traffic Branch Headquarters (October 2018)
- Project Angel Cycling Safety Training Day (August 2018)
- Road Safety Poster Design Competition cum Student Road Safety Campaign (July 2018)
- NTN launches campaign to promote student road safety (June 2018)
- T HKI promotes anti-drink driving during World Cup (June 2018)
- Wise Ride Cycling Safety Carnival 2018 (April 2018)
Education and Publicity Materials
Visit to Road Safety Bus/Town